When connecting your SlingStudio unit to a Wi-Fi network in the field, you may find that the network that you're connecting to uses WPA-Enterprise or WPA2-Enterprise security. This is often used both in corporate and in institutional environments.
Such networks require you to have both a username and a password to sign on to the Wi-Fi network. If you don't have these, check with the administrator for that network.
Connecting to a WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi hotspot
To connect to a WPA-Enterprise or WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi network:
- Launch SlingStudio Console. In the main screen, tap Settings (the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the Console main window).
- In the menu that appears, tap Internet Settings. (It is likely to be selected already.)
- In Internet Settings, under CHOOSE A NETWORK, look for the network that you want to use.
- If the SSID (network name) appears in the CHOOSE A NETWORK list:
- Tap to select the WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi network that you want to work with.
A dialog box appears.
- In the dialog box, enter your username and password, and then connect to the network.
Your SlingStudio unit connects to the WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi network, and you're done.
- If the SSID (network name) does not appear in the CHOOSE A NETWORK list:
- Scroll to the end of the list and tap Other...
The OTHER NETWORKS dialog box opens.
- Tap the NAME field, and then type the name of the WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise network that you want to connect your SlingStudio unit to.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to type carefully! The network name must be entered correctly.
- Tap the SECURITY field and then choose either WPA2 Enterprise or WPA2 Enterprise from the list, whichever is appropriate for the network that you're connecting to.
- Enter your username and password.
If you're not sure what to enter for username and/or password, then check with the administrator of the Wi-Fi hotspot that you want to connect to.
- When you're finished entering the correct information, tap JOIN.
The SlingStudio connects to the Wi-Fi network that you have specified.
EAP extensions supported by SlingStudio Console
WPA-Enterprise and WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi networks use EAP extensions to improve compatibility with various devices that might need to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
SlingStudio Console supports these EAP extensions:
Can't connect to the network?
Note that there are some limitations:
- These TLS modes are not supported:
- EAP-TTLS/MSCHAPv2 (April 2005)
- Server-level authentication is also not supported
Check with your network administrator
Beyond these limitations, if you have questions about compatibility, or are having trouble connecting to the Wi-Fi network, please contact the network's administrator. That person knows the network's setup, has access to administrative tools, and is by far the best source for information and troubleshooting.
Please let us know …
Are accessing the kinds of networks listed above important for you?
If so, please let us know! You can do that with the SlingStudio Feature Request Form:
We'd appreciate hearing from you.