If you have an audio source connected to your SlingStudio unit via the SlingStudio Audio Line-In port, there may be times when you need to set a slight delay in the audio input for proper synchronization with video input sources.
The SlingStudio Console app makes it easy to set a precise audio delay, in milliseconds or video frames, up to a total delay of 330ms or 10 frames. (The total delay is 330ms or 20 frames if you have chosen either 60 frame/sec production setting: Sports (720p60) or Pro (1080p60).)
How do I know how much delay I want to use?
That is the big question! The best answer is "it depends." This feature is intended to help you make very fine adjustments, not a major ones. If you've noticed slight misalignments in audio and video with your projects in the past, using particular video sources, then we recommend trying the Line-In Delay feature to see if it helps. It's best to start with minor delay settings, such as a few frames, and then evaluate your results using the method at the end of this article.
To set a delay for an audio line-in source:
- Connect a line-in source to the SlingStudio unit's LINE IN port.
- Launch the SlingStudio Console app, and then open (or create) a project.
- After you open (or create) your project, you see the SETTING UP YOUR STORAGE dialog box. Taking a moment to do this is strongly recommended.
- After that, you are given a chance to configure your audio sources. Tap YES.
You can also go to the AUDIO MIXER at any time while you're working with your project.
- Tap the Delay control setting under Audio Line In.
Note that you can mute the audio from other video sources if you don't want those audio channels used.
- The AUDIO LINE IN DELAY dialog box opens.
- Set the audio delay that you wish, and then tap SAVE.
- You can also access the Audio Delay feature from the control at the bottom of the Console app interface. Tap AUDIO DELAY.
The AUDIO LINE IN DELAY dialog box opens.
Confirming that you've set the correct audio line-in delay for a source:
- At the top of the Console app, tap Audio Mixer.
- In the Audio Mixer, for all of the audio channels except the Audio Line-In input, tap the speaker icon to mute the audio. Leave the Audio Line-In input unmuted.
- Tap Preview -> Program to push video and audio to the Program window.
- Monitor the program audio by clicking the headphones icon in the Program window.
- Listen for audio and video synchronization using the audio that you hear and the image in the Program window.
- If the synchronization is off, then follow the steps (above this section) to change the audio delay.
- Re-evaluate the audio delay again. If necessary, keep adjusting it until you cannot detect any audio/video synchronization mismatches.
Note: The audio delay cannot be changed during a recording.