What is Communities on Dish?
Communities on Dish (CoD) is a free Hopper application that runs on Hopper 2 and Hopper 3 set-top boxes. With it, Dish retailers can create channels containing local community content for you, their customers, within your zip-code based geographical area. You can also choose to see content from other areas as well if you wish.
Of course, the fastest, easiest, and most cost-effective way to create that local community content is with SlingStudio!
Using Communities on Dish
You can start up the Communities on Dish app in any of these ways:
- From the Dish Guide, press the Play button on the remote.
Note: If the COMMUNITIES on Dish ribbon is not visible at the bottom of the guide, then the Hopper is not enabled for CoD.
- Press the Home button on the remote, navigate to the Communities on Dish tile, and then press Select on the remote:
- Press the Apps button on the remote, navigate to the Communities on Dish tile, and then press Select on the remote:
- Press the Home button on the remote. Then select the Menu tab, navigate to the Communities on Dish tile, and then press Select on the remote:
The Communities on Dish application uses broadband Internet to access local community content. For this reason, your Hopper set-top box needs to be connected to an Internet connection to use the Communities on Dish application.
Using the Communities on Dish application
Once inside of the Communities on Dish application, your local CoD channels should automatically populate.
If you don't see any channels, use your remote control to click the Refresh button at the top left of the screen.
If there are still no visible channels, then you may live in a zip code that does not yet have Communities on Dish content. Be sure to check back from time to time, as Dish retailers are updating channels and content on a regular basis.
You can also import channels that are designated for other areas. See Adding and Hiding Channels, below.
Depending on channel availability, the Communities on Dish application displays four channel shelves (as shown in the following two screenshots, which represent what you see when you scroll up/down):
These four "shelves" are:
- LIVE CHANNELS: Displays (CoD) subscribed channels with a current live-streaming event.
Note that listings here may also display on other shelves.
- MY FAVORITE CHANNELS: Indicates channels that you have chosen to be a Favorite.
You can set a channel to be a Favorite by clicking the channel tile with the remote control. This opens the media page for that channel, where you can Watch the channel, Hide it, or designate it as a Favorite.
- LOCAL CHANNELS: Nearby channels (based on zip code) that have been found.
- DISTANT CHANNELS: Channels that you have imported from outside of your zip code.
Other Communities on Dish page features
See All box: Click this to view just the channels of that shelf; you can scroll vertically and find channels quickly.
Press Back on the remote control to return to the main Communities on Dish screen.
To view a specific channel, click its tile with the remote control. This displays the channel's screen with several pieces of information:
- Channel logo
- Channel name
- Channel community's city and state
- Channel ID (a five-digit number, a hyphen, and a two-digit number)
- Description of channel
- Advertisement or message from the Dish retailer (optional and subject to change)
Click Watch to see this channel's content (automatically launched by the CoD application and delivered via YouTube).
Note: To get back to the Communities on Dish screen, you must relaunch the CoD application.
Adding and Hiding Channels
Want to add some channels, or hide some channels that you don't use? Here's how you can do that:
- From the top of the main Communities on Dish page, use the remote control to click the Search button.
- Enter the zip code of the area for which you'd like to see video content.
Alternatively, if you know it, enter the Dish retailer's channel number (it has 5 digits followed by 2 digits).
- After entering either a zip code or a channel number, press Select on the remote control.
A screen displays the channels within the chosen zip code or channel number.
- Make a mistake?
- Press the remote control jump back button to try again.
- Press the remote control jump forward button to clear the entire search box.
- To add a channel to the collection: Navigate to the desired channel tile with the remote control, and then press the remote control Select button.
A green check mark on the tile indicates that the channel is now part of the collection.
- To remove a channel from the collection: Navigate to the desired channel tile with the remote control, and then press the remote control Select button.
The green check mark on the tile disappears, indicating that the channel is no longer part of the collection.
Press Back on the remote control to return to the Communities on Dish main screen, which should reflect the updated channel selections.
Communities on Dish options
Several feature options are available. You can access them by using the remote control to click the Options button at the top of the Communities on Dish main page.
These options include:
- Undo Last Action: Useful in several ways. For example, you can use it if you mistakenly add or remove a channel.
- Sort: Specify how you want to sort the channels listed on the main page as well as on the Search page.
Choose to sort:
- By most recently added
- By most recently watched
- Genre: Filter the channel display as well as Search page by category of interest.
- Hidden Channels: Restore a hidden channel.
Note: This only works if the hidden channel is local.
- When this tile has a black background (not grey) there are channels that can be restored.
- If the tile has a grey background, there are no channels to be restored.