Are you showing your video production to a group of people, and want to connect an external monitor to your SlingStudio unit so they can watch?
Do you need the option of having that video monitor display your program video without latency (delay)?
The HDMI OUT port lets you do this, but you need to:
- Use the correct HDMI input;
- Choose the correct option in the SlingStudio Console app.
Please read the descriptions below carefully so that you select the best one for your needs.
Also take a look at the section at the end of this article, SlingStudio Console low delay (low latency) Video Production setting, for more information about a setting that might be useful for you.
To add an external monitor, and optionally use the HDMI Passthrough feature:
- If you want to use the HDMI Passthrough feature that displays video from an HDMI device without latency, connect an HDMI video source to the SlingStudio HDMI IN port.
IMPORTANT: This is required to use the HDMI pass-through feature. If you just want to display your program video on an external monitor, and aren’t concerned about latency (or you need to use a CameraLink source) then you can skip this step, but the HDMI Pass-through option won’t be available to you.
- Connect the monitor to your SlingStudio unit’s HDMI OUT port using a Mini-HDMI cable.
- The SlingStudio unit should be powered up, the SlingStudio Console app should be connected to the SlingStudio hotspot, and you should have a project open.
- In the SlingStudio Console app, tap HDMI OUT in the lower-left corner.
A popup menu appears:
- From the popup menu that appears, choose the best option for your needs:
- PROGRAM VIDEO: Streams your program video (the video currently in the Program window in the SlingStudio Console app) to the monitor. Includes the audio stream.
Note: No video displays on the monitor if there is no video source in the Program window in the SlingStudio Console app. Be sure to "promote" your Preview image to Program to see your video production on the monitor.
- HDMI PASSTHROUGH: Streams video from the HDMI source that's connected to the SlingStudio HDMI IN port to an external monitor with no latency (delay).
This is useful for situations where you need to connect an external monitor for audiences to view video from a specific HDMI device.
Important: This option is not available unless you have an HDMI source connected to the SlingStudio HDMI IN port.
A note about audio: The HDMI PASSTHROUGH option only streams video; there is no audio stream. You'll need to stream audio separately.
- QUAD-VIEW: Streams a quad view (the screen is divided into four segments) of all of your available video streams, up to four. Because there can be up to four sources displayed at the same time, there is no audio stream.
- OFF (NO VIDEO): Disables the HDMI OUT port, so your external video monitor is black. Useful when you don't want any image to display on the external monitor.
- SETTINGS: Reveals the HDMI OUTPUT SETTINGS box:
The RESOLUTION setting offers choices of Auto, 1080p60, 1080i60, and 720p60.
The COLOR SPACE setting offers choices of Auto, RGB, YUV444, and YUV422.
Unless you're familiar with the different options, it's generally best to choose Auto.
Consider using the Video Conferencing (low delay/latency) Video Production setting
In some cases, you might find it useful to create a new SlingStudio project that uses this SlingStudio Video Production setting: Video Conferencing (720p60)-Low Delay.
For more information, see the articles that are linked below.