Streaming live to Facebook should normally work very well. But there can still be some hiccups. If you're having difficulties, here are some things to look at.
For step-by-step instructions on setting up a Facebook live broadcast, see the article linked below.
RTMP versus RTMPS streaming
As of May 1, 2019, Facebook requires all video streams to use the RMTPS (secure RTMP) streaming protocol. The latest version of SlingStudio Console supports RTMPS streaming. There is nothing you need to do to specify RTMPS streaming; SlingStudio Console and Facebook negotiate this automatically when you set up your Facebook video stream.
But to get RTMPS streaming, you must be using the latest version of the SlingStudio Console software. Older versions of SlingStudio Console don't support RTMPS streaming and won't work with Facebook.
You can download the latest SlingStudio software here.
For Facebook live broadcasting to work:
- Your SlingStudio unit must be connected to the Internet, either via its Wi-Fi, or via an Ethernet cable connected directly to the SlingStudio (using the USB-C Expander).
- You can connect to Wi-Fi using Internet settings under Options (the gear icon) in the upper-left of the SlingStudio Console app.
- To connect to a network using an Ethernet cable, use the Ethernet port provided on the optional SlingStudio USB-C Expander.
When you're done, the Internet LED indicator on the SlingStudio should be glowing green. If it is glowing amber, then your SlingStudio is connected to your network but not to the Internet itself. You'll need to investigate your network to determine the problem. If the Internet indicator is off, then double-check the Wi-Fi connection process or Ethernet cable.
Logging in to Facebook
Within SlingStudio, you can log into Facebook from the Project Settings dialog box when you set up your project. (You can also do that later, by tapping the file icon ... the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner of the Console app ... and then choosing Project Settings).
At the bottom of the PROJECT SETTINGS box, tap LIVE BROADCASTING to turn it on, and then tap Select a Destination. You can then log in.
Check upload speed
Using the SlingStudio Console app, check the upload speed that's available to you with your network. To do that, connect the Console app to your SlingStudio, then tap the Dashboard icon (the meter icon in the upper-left corner of the Console app) to open the Dashboard. There, under the INTERNET CONNECTIVITY section, tap Upload Speed and wait a moment for SlingStudio to determine the currently-available upload speed.
Note that it's best if your network has an upload speed of greater than 8Mbps.
Check program output bit rate versus upload speed
It is important that the Program Output Bit Rate that is chosen for the Facebook broadcast is lower than the upload speed of your network connection; otherwise, the Facebook broadcast is likely to have quality problems.
To check video bit rate settings:
- Go to the Console app, and tap the Dashboard icon on the left side of the Console screen.
- In the Dashboard, under the INTERNET CONNECTIVITY section, look for Upload Speed. Tap the circular arrow to get the current upload speed reading, and make a note of it.
- Close the Dashboard, and tap the File open/close icon. Go to Project settings.
- Is the current VIDEO BIT RATE lower than the current upload speed? If not adjust it.
You're ready to broadcast!
Want to review Internet connectivity quality as you stream video?
You can do that in either of two ways.
First, make sure that you're streaming video. Then:
- In SlingStudio Console, along the bottom of the Program window, where you see info about your stream, tap Quality.
The Live Broadcasting Quality Indicator opens, displaying real-time network streaming info.
- Or, you can tap the Dashboard icon (in the upper left corner of the SlingStudio Console main window) to open the Dashboard.
At the bottom of the Dashboard, you see the INTERNET CONNECTIVITY thumbnail image displaying real-time bit rate data, just as the Live Broadcast Quality Indicator does.
For more information about the Live Broadcast Quality Indicator, see the links below.
Including music in your Facebook live broadcast
It is critical that you not include any copyrighted music in your Facebook live broadcast. Facebook monitors this very closely. If this happens, you might see a message like this:
Your video was not posted because it may contain music, audio or video that belongs to someone else.
Please consult Facebook Help for more information on including music in a Facebook live broadcast.
Facebook Pages/Groups aren't being shown
If you're finding that Facebook Pages and/or Groups aren't being shown, then take a look at these things:
- Check to see if you are an administrator for the Facebook page. If not, then you won't see Pages/Groups.
- Check to see if the same Facebook page can be streamed by using another person's login (but make sure that they have administrator privileges).
- Try streaming another Facebook page to see if that works properly.
- Try streaming using the custom RTMP method. See the link below for more information on doing that.
With some Groups/Pages, you have trouble seeing the Publish Now and/or Schedule Post options
With some Groups/Pages, you can choose the Publish Now option but the option to Schedule Post is not available. The workaround for this is setting up a custom RTMP arrangement. Here's how:
- Schedule a post using the Facebook app or the Facebook web page:
- Click the Live Video option on the page timeline.
- Select the Connect option.
- Enter a description for the post.
- Click the Schedule option to schedule the post.
- Extract the Stream Key and the Server URL of the scheduled post:
- Refresh the Facebook page. Once it is refreshed, your scheduled post is listed.
- Click “…” from the top right corner of the post.
- Click Edit.
- Click the Stream key tab.
- Be sure to make a note of the Server URL and the Stream Key.
- Go live with the scheduled post using the Custom RTMP feature of the SlingStudio Console app:
- Select the Custom RTMP option from Live Broadcasting in the Console app.
- Enter the Server URL and Stream key.
- Tap the Live Broadcasting button; select Go Live. Once the scheduled post time arrives, the post automatically goes live.
If you don't see either the Publish Now or the Schedule Post options, compare the version of SlingStudio Console that you're using with the latest at the Apple App Store. Very old versions of SlingStudio Console can have this problem. The only solution is updating your SlingStudio software.
If you still continue to have problems, please contact the SlingStudio Support Team.
For more information on working with custom RTMP streams, see the link below.